Kurt's Practice Areas
- Administrative & Regulatory
- Business Law & Transactions
- Commercial Litigation
- Data Security & HIPAA Compliance
- Employment Law
- Entity Formation
- Health Law
- Professional Discipline
- Succession Planning
Kurt Bratten is a partner in our Health Law Department. His practice includes a wide range of civil litigation, transactional work, compliance and other advisory services. Kurt’s primary focus is on counseling health care providers regarding various compliance and transactional matters such as state and federal data security and privacy requirements, managed care and other contractual matters, and state and federal regulatory requirements applicable to various provider groups. He frequently assists clients with the assessment of security incidents, HIPAA compliance and response to breaches, and has represented clients before state and federal agencies relating to various cyber security and privacy matters. Kurt represents nursing homes, adult care facilities, clinical laboratories, home care agencies, mental health providers, health care provider associations, physician practices, management companies, individual physicians and other licensed professionals. He also advises a range of institutional clients including those outside of the health care system, about corporate formation, data security, employment, intellectual property and general business matters.
Kurt’s litigation practice is concentrated on representing health care providers and licensed professionals in administrative proceedings, regulatory enforcement matters, Article 78 actions and other civil litigation. Kurt has litigated complex issues in state and federal courts in New York and Massachusetts, including ERISA and fraud claims, intellectual property disputes, and novel issues of law. His business litigation experience includes employment and contractual disputes, corporate break-ups, and more specialized areas such as intellectual property matters, piercing the corporate veil, trade secret protection and the enforcement of restrictive covenants. Of equal importance, Kurt has successfully advised clients about how and when to avoid litigation so they can focus their energy and resources on their business or caring for patients.
Kurt is currently the First Vice-Chair of the Board of Directors of the Empire State Youth Orchestras and President of the Board of Directors of the Northeast String Orchestra. Prior to joining the firm, Kurt practiced with a law firm in Boston, Massachusetts.
- New England School of Law
- Mary Washington College
- United States Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- United States District Court, District of Massachusetts
- United States District Court, Northern District of New York
- United States District Court, Southern District of New York
- United States District Court, Eastern District of New York
- New York State
Memberships / Professional Associations
- American Health Lawyers Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Albany County Bar Association
- Leadership Tech Valley, Class of 2012
- Northeast String Orchestra
- Leadership Tech Valley Steering Committee
- 5th annual Cybersecurity Symposium, presented by GreyCastle Security October 11, 2017, Albany, New York
- HIPAA Compliance for Clinical Laboratories, American Association of Bioanalysts2014 Annual Meeting and Educational Conference May 15, 2014, Las Vegas, Nevada
- HIPAA Compliance: Business Associates and Fundraising Under the Omnibus Final Rule, Hospice & Palliative Care Association of New York State, Annual Interdisciplinary Seminar and MeetingMay 2, 2014, Albany, New York.
- Assisted Living Legal Update, New York State Center for Assisted Living, Mid-Winter ConferenceJanuary 14, 2014, San Juan, Puerto Rico.