Jeffrey is Of Counsel at O’Connell & Aronowitz. Primarily a health care attorney, he is also an accomplished litigator in health care, commercial and employment cases. In his national health law practice, Jeffrey has represented providers and their trade associations for over 35 years. His clients include hospitals, clinical laboratories, alcohol and substance abuse providers, behavioral health providers, nursing homes, home health care agencies, adult care facilities, DME and respiratory suppliers, physician practices, and ancillary health care practitioners. His clinical laboratory clientele, in particular, is nationwide, and he is regularly tapped to speak at national conferences and forums on issues affecting clinical laboratories.
Jeffrey practices in all federal and state courts, and before all federal and state health care regulatory agencies. He has successfully represented the New York State hospital industry in two appeals before the United States Supreme Court and actively represents clients in all types of healthcare litigation, including criminal, civil and administrative fraud and abuse investigations; Medicare, Medicaid and private insurer audits, and commercial litigation. He also represents providers in professional discipline and regulatory enforcement matters.
In the area of Employment Law, Jeffrey obtained a $15.4 million jury verdict for an individual plaintiff in a sexual harassment trial, which, at the time, was the largest verdict in the country for an individual plaintiff in an employment discrimination case. He also recovered over $23 million for clinical laboratories from the New York State Department of Health in two lawsuits, due to the State’s collection of excessive license fees, and over $14 million for an individual clinical laboratory from a major health insurance company for wrongful denials of claims. Jeffrey has also successfully represented shareholder interests in major class action litigation.
Formerly in charge of litigation for the New York State Department of Mental Hygiene, Jeff was also an Adjunct Professor of Law for Union College’s graduate program in Health Care Administration. He has been listed in the publication The Best Lawyers in America for over 20 years and also consistently been listed in the Upstate New York Super Lawyers list, a distinction earned by less than 5% of attorneys in the state.
- Albany Law School of Union University
- State University of New York, Albany
- "What Labs Must Know to Stay Compliant"
- Aggressive Audits: Holding Labs Responsible for Medical Necessity
- PAMA Lawsuit: Allegations, Process and Timeline
- Threats to Profitability Facing Clinical Laboratories and Pathology Groups
- PAMA Lab Test Market Price Reporting, What EVERY Lab Must Know, Which Labs Must Submit Data and Why Reporting Labs are at Risk!
- OMIG Compliance
- Home Care Forum: Public Policy Updates
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States District Court for the Northern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Western District of New York
- New York State
- American Association for Justice
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Capital District Trial Lawyers Association
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association
- New York State Bar Association - Health Law Section
- New York State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Character and Fitness Committee Member, Appellate Division, Third Department, 1998 – 2013
- Best Lawyer, Best Lawyers 1991 -2019
- AV Preeminent 5.0 out of 5, Peer Review, Martindale-Hubbell 2019
- Upstate New York Super Lawyers, 2009- 2019