Health Law Blog

Alert: Opportunity for Health Care Providers to Give Policy Input to State Officials

In Executive Order 23, Governor Kathy Hochul directed the State Department of Health (“DOH”) to coordinate with the newly formed State Office for the Aging to develop a New York State Master Plan for Aging (the “Plan”). The Plan will involve the coordination of existing and new policies to improve care for the aging and disabled, and to ensure that the aging and disabled population can live independent and healthy lives.

As directed by Governor Hochul in Executive Order 23, DOH has convened a Master Plan for Aging Council that is comprised of a wide range of State agencies, such as the Department of Labor, the Office of Mental Health, the Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services, and the Office of People with Developmental Disabilities.  The agencies will coordinate to develop policies that will best suit the needs of aging New Yorkers. Additionally, a Stakeholder Advisory Committee has been created to advise the State in its implementation of the Plan. This Committee is comprised of representatives from the community, including health care providers, employers, and community-based organizations.

Through a series of town halls and other opportunities, healthcare providers are in the unique position to provide recommendations and commentary on what policies the Plan should include. Providers can recommend policy ideas on staffing, Medicaid, Medicare, and recommendations on how to amend current State policies affecting the healthcare industry. It is imperative that you take advantage of this opportunity to provide your input. Recommendations by the Master Plan for Aging Council are scheduled to be submitted to the Governor by early 2024, with the plan scheduled to take effect by 2025. Ultimately, the Plan will be implemented over a period of about ten years.

As this process is rapidly progressing, you do not want to miss your opportunity to weigh in. If you would like to know how you can get involved or would like help providing commentary to the State, please contact Colleen R. Pierson, Esq. via email at

Back to Top