Jeffrey's Practice Areas
- Administrative & Regulatory
- Business Law & Transactions
- Commercial Financing
- Commercial Litigation
- Commercial Real Estate
- Data Security & HIPAA Compliance
- Entity Formation
- Health Law
- Professional Discipline
- Succession Planning
Jeffrey is the President of O’Connell & Aronowitz, and he is an accomplished litigator for health care, commercial, and employment matters. His national health law practice principally represents providers and their trade associations. His clients include hospitals, clinical laboratories, alcohol and substance abuse providers, mental disabilities providers, nursing homes, home health care agencies, adult care facilities, DME and respiratory suppliers, physician practices, ancillary health care practitioners and other providers. He has successfully represented health care clients in two appeals before the United States Supreme Court.
Jeffrey practices in all federal and state courts, and before all federal and state health care regulatory agencies. He actively represents clients in all types of healthcare litigation, including criminal, civil and administrative fraud and abuse investigations; Medicare, Medicaid and private insurer audits, and commercial litigation. He also represents providers in professional discipline and regulatory enforcement matters. Jeffrey serves as general counsel to many trade associations, charitable organizations and providers.
In the area of Employment Law, Jeffrey obtained a $15.4 million jury verdict for an individual plaintiff in a sexual harassment trial. He also recently recovered over $5 million for a group of clinical laboratories from the State of New York, for excessive license fees, and over $5 million for an individual clinical laboratory from a major health insurance company for wrongful denials of claims. Jeffrey has also successfully represented shareholder interests in major class action litigation.
Jeffrey was formerly in charge of litigation for the NYS Department of Mental Hygiene and was an Adjunct Professor of Law for Union College’s graduate program in Health Care Administration. He has been listed in the publication The Best Lawyers in America for over 20 years, and has also been consistently listed in the Upstate New York Super Lawyers list, a distinction earned by less than 5% of attorneys in the state.
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States District Court for the Northern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Western District of New York
- New York State
- American Association for Justice
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Capital District Trial Lawyers Association
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association
- New York State Bar Association, Health Law Section
- New York State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Appellate Division, Third Department, Character and Fitness Committee Member1998 – 2013
- American Diabetes Association, Executive Committee – Tour de Cure 2014 – Present
- Albany Law School Moot Court Board, Moot Court Judge2010 – 2014
- Best Lawyer, Best Lawyers 2009 -2018
- AV Preeminent 5.0 out of 5, Peer Review Martindale-Hubbell , 2017
- Upstate New York Super Lawyers 2009- 2017
- Equal Justice Award, Legal Services Corporation 2014
- William N. Reich Outstanding Achievement Award, National Independent Laboratory Association 2009
American Association of Bioanalysts et al. vs. NYS Dept of Health
Practice Area: Health care
Date: Apr 23, 2013
Outcome: $18M refund for overpayment of fees
Description: 2 cases related to overcharging clinical laboratories for costs of their regulation. First case resulted in favorable decision leading $5M repayment to plaintiff labs. Second case resulted in settlement refunding $18M to plaintiff laboratories.
New York State Conference of Blue Cross & Blue Shield Plans v. Travelers Insurance Co.
Practice Area: Health care
Date: Jan 01, 1995
Outcome: Resulted in changing the law
Description: Won ERISA preemption challenge to state hospital reimbursement statute in US Supreme Court
Nestler v. Chartwells USDC NDNY
Practice Area: Sexual harassment
Outcome: $15.4 million jury verdict
Description: Represented plaintiff in individual sexual harassment case resulting in the country’s highest verdict at the time for individual employment discrimination.