Fran is a partner concentrating his practice in the areas of commercial creditors’ rights, commercial litigation, and appellate practice. In his commercial creditor’s rights practice, Fran represents commercial lenders in all areas involving troubled loans including workouts, mortgage foreclosures, and Chapter 7 and Chapter 11 bankruptcies.
Fran is a member of the New York State Bar Association, Commercial Litigation Section, and the Capital Region Bankruptcy Bar Association. Fran is the editor of the Mortgage Foreclosures chapter of the New York State Bar Association Practical Skills Series.
Prior to joining O’Connell & Aronowitz, P.C., Fran was a partner with the firm of McNamee Lochner P.C. Prior to entering private practice, Mr. Smith spent eight years with the New York State Supreme Court, Appellate Division, Third Department, the last six of which were spent as confidential law clerk to the Honorable A. Franklin Mahoney, Presiding Justice of that court.
- Siena College, cum laude
- Albany Law School of Union University, cum laude
- Mortgage Foreclosures
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of New York
- United States District Court of the Northern District of New York
- United States District Court of the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court of the Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court of the Western District of New York
- New York State