Jeffrey is the President of O'Connell & Aronowitz, and he is an accomplished litigator for health care, commercial, and employment matters. His national health law practice principally represents providers and their trade associations. His clients include hospitals, clinical laboratories, alcohol and substance abuse providers, mental disabilities providers, nursing homes, home health care agencies, adult care facilities, DME and respiratory suppliers, physician practices, ancillary health care practitioners and other providers. He has successfully represented health care clients in two appeals before the United States Supreme Court.
Jeffrey practices in all federal and state courts, and before all federal and state health care regulatory agencies. He actively represents clients in all types of healthcare litigation, including criminal, civil and administrative fraud and abuse investigations; Medicare, Medicaid and private insurer audits, and commercial litigation. He also represents providers in professional discipline and regulatory enforcement matters. Jeffrey serves as general counsel to many trade associations, charitable organizations and providers.
In the area of Employment Law, Jeffrey obtained a $15.4 million jury verdict for an individual plaintiff in a sexual harassment trial. He also recently recovered over $5 million for a group of clinical laboratories from the State of New York, for excessive license fees, and over $5 million for an individual clinical laboratory from a major health insurance company for wrongful denials of claims. Jeffrey has also successfully represented shareholder interests in major class action litigation.
Jeffrey was formerly in charge of litigation for the NYS Department of Mental Hygiene and was an Adjunct Professor of Law for Union College's graduate program in Health Care Administration. He is a 1975 graduate of Albany Law School, where he was Editor-in-Chief of the Albany Law Review. He has been listed in the publication The Best Lawyers in America for over 20 years, and has also been listed for several years as a Super Lawyer in health care law for Upstate New York.
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States District Court for the Northern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Western District of New York
- New York State
- American Health Lawyers Association
- American Association for Justice
- American Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Health Law Section
- New York State Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association, Health Law Section
- Capital District Trial Lawyers Association
- Albany Law School